COLDWELL BANKER | ENC0RE DUNN & ELAM | 141 WEST MAIN STREET | AZLE, TX 76020 | 817.444.0787
Copyright © 2013 Encore Dunn & Elam | Each Coldwell Banker Office is independently owned and operated.
Azle is a suburban community with a rural quality of life. Eagle Mountain Lake is the Eastern border. Cross Timbers Golf Course is in the newly annexed western portion of the city. Fort Worth is just down the highway and offers the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge, museums, Bass Performance Hall, theatres, and malls.
Azle is a master planned community with a council and boards dedicated to protecting the quality of life in the city. It is truly a full-service municipality committed to caring for the community and serving the citizens. Horses and cattle still have room to roam and homebuyers have the choice of new starter homes in the $80,000's to homes in excess of half a million dollars.
Azle is on State Highway 199, 16 miles northwest of downtown Fort Worth in the northwest corner of Tarrant County. The town extends partly into Parker County. The first recorded settlement at the site occurred in 1846, when a young doctor named James Azle Steward moved into a cabin built by a Dutchman named Rumsfeldt. Other settlers came and established themselves near the local streams, Ash Creek, Silver Creek, and Walnut Creek.
The first post office opened in 1881, and the town took the name O'Bar in honor of the man who obtained the postal service. Soon, however, the name was changed at the request of Steward, who donated the land for a townsite in order to have the town named Azle.
The community's economy was based on agriculture. Several crops were grown, including wheat, corn, peanuts, sorghum, and cotton. Watermelons, cantaloupes, peaches, plums, and pears were also produced. Dairy farming became important in the early decades of the twentieth century, when local milk products were sold to creameries in Fort Worth.
Town Expansion and Population Growth
The population of Azle grew steadily, and by 1920 the census recorded 150 residents. By 1933 State Highway 34 (later State Highway 199) had reached Azle from Fort Worth, greatly improving transportation capabilities between the town and the city. Also, Eagle Mountain Lake was formed by a dam on the Trinity River east of Azle.
In the late 1930's electricity was supplied to Azle and the surrounding countryside. The population grew between 1940 and 1960 from 800 to 2,696. It was 5,822 by 1980. After the 1930s agriculture gradually declined. Fields were converted from wheat and corn production to housing developments. Manufacturing increased, and in 1984 Azle had twenty-six businesses. In 1985 the population was estimated at more than 7,000.
The town's proximity to Fort Worth and its position as the "Gateway to Eagle Mountain Lake" have made Azle a popular place to live. In 1990 the population was 8,868.
SPRINGTOWN, TEXAS. Springtown is on State Highway 199 twenty-seven miles northwest of Fort Worth near the northern border of Parker County. In 1856 Joseph Ward of New Jersey settled on the site, on a creek fed by numerous springs seventeen miles northeast of Weatherford. Three years later Ward designed the town square and named the place Littleton's Springs after a pioneer family. In the mid-1870s the name was changed to Springtown following a petition by a majority of the 200 residents. The town's post office has operated continuously since its establishment in June 1875. In 1884 Springtown was incorporated, and the community elected J. A. Graves its first mayor. Springtown Male and Female Instituteqv opened that year and served the northern part of the county for a decade. Public schools eventually developed, and in 1936 Springtown High School was incorporated in the Parker County school system. The first town newspaper, established in 1881, was the Springtown Sentinel. Newspapers that followed included the Pilot, Local, and Journal. By 1890 the community had four churches, two cotton gins, one steam corn mill, a daily stage to Weatherford costing one dollar, and a triweekly stage to Decatur. Springtown grew from a population of 500 in 1890 to nearly 800 in 1940. From the Great Depressionqv through 1960 the population growth slowed. Afterward, primarily because of an increase in the Springtown-Fort Worth commuter population, the number of residents nearly doubled. Springtown had a population of 1,658 in 1986. In 1990 the population was 1,740. The population reached 2,062 in 2000.